Monday, March 11, 2013

Here I lie, in my.......


 

hospital bed.  Tell me, Sister Morphine, when are you coming round again.


I think being knocked out for surgery is interesting.  I mean, you really have no freaking clue what went on that hour you were gassed.  And then "BAM!"  you wake up in pain.

The concept of time was lost from meeting the Anetheisiologist to leaving the hospital.  It all seemed like 30 minutes, but it was hours.  I must have moaned because I was asked if I was in pain and I nodded my head, so I was given something in my IV.  If it was morphine it would be quite funny but it probably was not.

The first thing I asked was "lymph node".  The reason was that I was very aware that my right arm pit hurt like hell and that was not a good sign.  I had known that they would not take nodes if the biopsy was not cancerous so if I woke up to arm pit pain then I knew I had cancer.  The nurse said yes they took lymph nodes, so I knew I had cancer.  At the same time Dr. Byars was telling John that I did have breast cancer, they got clear margins, and the lymph nodes looked grossly fine.  Which meant while he was eyeballing them they did not look sick.  John was worried on how to tell me I had cancer, but I already knew.  I did not tell him my reasoning until 3 days later.

Everything was very fuzzy.  I do not even remember being rolled back into the post-op room were I started pre-op.  I remember being in recovery for about 1 second.  The next time I think I was in the post -op room which was the same as pre-op .  I do remember not wanting the pulse thingy on my finger.  They would clampt it on and I would flick it off.  I know I did this at least twice.

I also did not like the oxygen tube things up my nose.  I heard a nurse say that my O2 level was not where it should be.  I also know that twice I pulled the tubes out of my nose and placed them on my forehead just to have them put back.

Let's go back to the top of this post with my song.  In my Hospital Playlist  I had the aforementioned song.  I really did feel like that song sounds - hard to explain.  It is kinda like drinking a pina colada and knowing that it tastes that sunscreen smells.  I weird blend of senses that apparently only occurs if you are on drugs or drinking.



So then time passes - I was thirsty so I had ice and some water.  In my "go to the hospital bag" I packed my own Diet Dr. Pepper.  The nurses were not real keen on me having it, but agreed.  It tasted so great!  More time passes and then this wonderful lady comes in and talks to me.

Kerry Heinz is an angel.  A walking, breathing, real life angel. She came in and told me that my life just changed and I was a fighter.  I became part of a club.  She told me that I could no longer eat crappy foods, or drink what she called "cancer in a can" my diet Dr. Pepper.  I need to get out there and be a Cancer Fighting Ninja Warrior.  Walk, lose weight, eat right, pray.

She is a fighter herself.  She is currently battling Stage IV Breast Cancer, but she is not wallering in saddness.  She is out there taking time out of her day and talks to every woman that is diagnosed with Breast Cancer.  I can't say enough nice things about her.

I have to mention here that I had a drain in my body.  WTH - I was not warned about this.  Nasty - gross.  I know I did not research much on the surgery due to the finding out too much info, but lord have mercy someone should have told me about this.  There will be more info on this later.

After she leaves it was about time for me to go home.  I sit up and OOooo - I did not feel so good.  There was some rumbly in my tumbly.  I get a wet rag to place on my head while the nurse helps me dress.  I can't really move my right arm.

Well, then it is time - I need the garbage can and I throw up - of course it was my Diet Dr. Pepper. 

I ask for some phenegren, but my nurse said that it would have to be in suppository form.  Now that I had the grasp of my senses I so eloquently said " We are not sticking anything up my butt."

Nice nurse lady said if I had a shot I would have to stay 30 more minutes, my reply was "go get the shot!"

So I get my shot, lie down in my clothes, and feel all woozy again and wait 30 min.

Finally, I get to go home - woo hoo.   

No comments:

Post a Comment